Saturday, October 21, 2017

Week 6 - The Anonymous Lady


I have to start by mentioning that the way that these poems were printed honestly made it somewhat difficult to read. What I mean is that the lower case s's look like f's, I suppose because of the limitations of the early printing presses. I realize this is just a simple gripe, but it still gave me a bit of trouble.

Anyways, the Anonymous Lady's poems were honestly pretty good in my opinion. I enjoy a good love poem every now and again, and these were written quite well. I particularly enjoyed "To the Same. A Pastoral" because it flows very well, probably due to its rhyme scheme.
Another poem I enjoyed was "[250]" because it is short and sweet, consisting of only four lines used to say that this lady can only express her love through writing.

What is probably the most important piece by the Anonymous Lady is "On Being Charged with Writing Incorrectly." It is humorous in a satirical kind of way, and it really sends a good message about the writing conventions that were the standard for the time period. I love how this anonymous lady was so unafraid to call white male writers out for being so dependent on the approval of "Busby," who was a renowned professor at the time, I believe. Instead of writing because they enjoy writing, they want to be able to write exactly like everyone else, which this author thinks is wrong. I just really enjoy the progressiveness of this piece, even if something like this could never have been published in England.

If looking for some good love poems to read or gain inspiration from, the Anonymous Lady is a good place to start. It is simple to read and a simple subject matter, but it is still quite eloquent in its own way, I think. As long as the reader can get past the weird way it was printed, then it should yield something for each person who reads it, because most people have written a simple love poem at one point or another.

1 comment:

  1. She is also one of my favorite authors. She has an interesting autobiography, "Clio" that gives some interesting views on love and marriage.

    ReplyDelete